Our Fire Department
The idea of the hose company was conceived in the spring of 1903. On May 28,1903, records show , the first meeting was called and held in the Robert Ellis Building located on South First Street. A Volunteer Fire Company was organized with C.G Frey appointed Chairman; W.J. Rummell, Secretary; and G.M. Pahel, Fire Chief. Maurice Shrader and William Joseph met with the Borough Council to find a place to meet and to arrange purchase of some fire fighting equipment. The newly organized Volunteer Fire Company held it's meeting in the carriage house which served as the truck room.
On November 9,1903, application for the formal charter was submitted by Robert Ellis, W.H Crock, T.E. Holtzer, George M. Pahel, W.J. Rummel, Thomas O'Brien and G.A. Nelson.Officer of the newly-charted Youngwood Volunteer Hose Company No. 1 were President, Robert Ellis, Secretary James Ellis; Treasure, James Romig; Chief George Falkins; Captain, Maurice Shrader; Lieutenants, William Joseph and Earl Pyatt; Hose Man, Sam Romig; Trustees, W.J. Rummell, T.E Holtzer and F.M. Stroble.
On September 13,1904 the Fire Department met with Borough Council and arranged to purchase a new hose wagon from J.S. Knisely, Bellefone Pennsylvania. In addition to the hose wagon , Council purchased 400 feet of new hose, a second hand hose cart and a ladder truck drawn by Ohand.
In 1905, the Borough Council granted the Hose Company the use of two rooms at a rent of $1.00 per year.
In 1908, a committee was appointed to solicit funds for a Bell or Gong.
The town's first major structure fire occurred on Feb. 23,1914 when Fiscus and Riblett Store at the corner of Third and Depot was destroyed. It was never rebuilt.
1924 - Seagrave Fire Truck was Purchased
1937 - International Fire Truck was Purchased
1938 - A fire siren was placed atop the Borough Building on Fourth Street.
1946 - American LaFrance Fire Truck Purchased
1950 - A major development occurred thru the generosity of J.B. Peterson, A Packard Ambulance was acquired to the service the Youngwood Area.
As the years went on , six Ambulance replacements followed, and as of 1974, Youngwood owned two Cadillac ambulances, Fully equipped. In the late 80's a decision was made to disband the ambulance service, and to enlist the help of Mutual Aid Ambulance service to better serve the community with full service.
On March 26, 1953, The First Life Member Banquet was held at Sleepy Hollow Tavern near Ligonier, Pennsylvania Thirty-Three members were honored that night.
In 1969, The Hose Company took giant steps....A tract of land at the south east corner of Second and Chestnut Street was purchased...and the " Long Shanty", an old land mark was sent up in flames while the firemen carried out practice drills.
A community center was planned around the building that would House the present and modern equipment envisioned for the immediate future. An Air Conditioned building, with meeting rooms and kitchen facilities was planned and built at a cost of $200,000.00. The Youngwood Community and Borough Council cooperated with the Fire Company's ambitious plans and a New Fire hall and social center was developed for the citizens of Youngwood.
The Building committee for this bold project was; Chairman , Mayor ( 1969-1973) James Neal; John Vukelic; Edward Levendusky; Albert Gaebel, James Wallace, Mike Pacelli Sr., Edward Anderson, Jess Goswick, Paul Conde and Robert Laird. The dedication for the new Fire Hall was held on Sunday , Nov. 22, 1970 with Robert Laird Chairman.
1st, 3rd, & 4th
Mondays Each Month
To make a donation to
the Jeff “Lance” Wentzel Memorial Scholarship fund
Check Scholarship Endowment Fund
Then Enter specific allocation -Jeff “Lance” Wentzel Memorial Scholarship
30th John Storey Jr